Thursday, December 4, 2008

Meeting Jeffrey

Inspired by Emilia, here is the story of how I met Jeff.

Disclaimer: It's not as good a story as Emilia and Todd's, and I'm not the storyteller Emilia is, but I do have a certain fondness for this tale.

June 20, 1986. Crappy south campus apartment. My first year of grad school is drawing to a close. My roommate, Kathy, and her brother, Dave, are going to a movie. Kathy invited me, and Dave had invited a friend of his. Kathy and Dave were on the back porch and I was inside, so when the someone knocked on the door I answered it. My first thought-"He is tall."
We walked up High St to a theatre which no longer exists-it's now a gym. By the time we got there, Jeff and I were already trying to figure out how to ditch Kathy and Dave. Which we did, soon after the movie ended.
Unlike Emilia and Todd, who kept meeting repeatedly, Jeff and I have been together since that first day. Of course, Emilia and Todd met while their ages added together made a single digit number. It would have been odd if they'd started dating immediately.

Note- the movie we saw was called "Morons from Outer Space." I think it's safe to say that if it hadn't been for meeting Jeff, I wouldn't have remembered this movie. I would have actively tried to forget it. ECT might not have been out of the question. To call this a bad movie is an insult to bad movies of all genres and eras. I think I've made my point.

Another note- We still haven't figured out if we were set up that night. Kathy has denied it, but...

No comments: