Sunday, October 5, 2008

With apologies to Coach Tressel

I wore an OSU tee shirt to work today. During the football season we are able, for a small donation to United Way, to buy ourselves the right to wear jeans and/or a college tee shirt to work on the weekend.
One co-worker asked if I had enjoyed the game last night, and was a bit baffled to learn that I hadn't watched it, and wasn't spectacularly excited that OSU had won. "So," she asked, "Why the OSU shirt?"
I was wearing the shirt today because I could, and I'd rather wear a tee than anything else. I own the shirt to begin with not because I am a Buckeye fan, but because I am a Buckeye. This is my cultural heritage. It is not seasonal, and it is unaffected by win/loss records and coach's polls. It is just a fact. Of course, all things being equal, I'd prefer the Buckeyes would win -- all the time, in every sport. But whatever happens, I will wear OSU shirts, hang an OSU ornament on my Christmas tree, and drink occasionally from an OSU mug, 'cause I'm just that much of a dork. A Buckeye dork.

No comments: